As mentioned on Gartner, Cloud management platforms are integrated products that provide for the management of public, private and hybrid cloud environments. The minimum requirements to be included in this category are products that incorporate self-service interfaces, provision system images, enable metering and billing, and provide for some degree of workload optimization through established policies.
What are the Benefits of Cloud management platforms?
Cloud Management Tools provide means to manage the infrastructure deployed on various cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, GCP and many more. CMT gives you the ability to manage various operations and deployment of applications and associated datasets across multiple cloud service providers.
Gartner sets the minimum requirements for Cloud Management Platform offerings as: “Products that incorporate self-service interfaces, provision system images, enable metering and billing, and provide for some degree of workload optimization through established policies.”
There are various studies which claim that enterprises and SMB’s use some cloud or combination of different clouds to host their various applications and workloads and need for cloud management tool is increasing with an increase in consumption over multiple clouds.
You might be just starting out with the cloud with few websites and engineers working on it and regardless of what you are doing when you scale up and have few hundreds of servers to manage you can’t rely on manual or traditional ways. Growth is good but you don’t want your cloud billing to scale up in proportion to your growth. Growth is also challenging as you don’t want new developers or new joiners to increase the cloud consumption because they are new to that cloud provider and might not know how to leverage the cloud computing capability. Some mistakes can be really expensive if they are not tracked for a period of time and when you are on the way to scale up it becomes very hard to track mistakes and take steps accordingly.
There are various organizations that are facing challenges with IT operations and are unable to gather a number of data points needed to gain visibility and the variety of systems to collect the data.
A cloud management tool should provide an efficient platform to manage your Cloud infrastructure across Cost, Compliance and best practices. It should give you insights into your environment along with Cost-savings’ recommendation to reduce your Cloud bill. It should also help you to stay compliant across your Infrastructure footprint by following industry best practices like tagging and snapshots.
What are the essential features that a cloud management tool should have?
There are a few essential features that a cloud management tool should have in order to help organizations to have visibility and take necessary actions.
1. Insights: A good cloud management tool should give you insights to help you visualize your Usage, Utilization, and Cost of current infrastructure and track your cost consumption across all cloud resources. Insights will help you eliminate waste and reduce your overall costs.
2. Logs Monitoring: What makes a cloud management tool unique is its ability to unify monitoring processes by providing logs from all the major resources.
3. Compliance: A cloud management tool should bring in regulatory compliance and should have default or user-defined policies and continuously monitor your Cloud for managing the compliance rules.
4. Savings: A cloud management tool should be able to provide cost savings by giving you the capability to hibernate your unused resources and provides insights into each service with estimated savings. This is beneficial as it can lead to a lower Total Cost of Ownership(TCO) while it ensures that your infrastructure is healthy.
5. Best Practices: It includes strategies to help you compare your workload against best practices across Security, Cost, Reliability, Operations, and Performance.
6. Billing: Save your dollars by tracking the spent by exploring where the maximum spent is happening. Also, take care of your invoices by blended and unblended to streamline your cost across your organization
About Cloudzatic: Cloudzatic is cloud management SaaS tool for AWS. It provides instant visibility to changes in your AWS infrastructure, continuous cost & resource optimization and painless compliance & security audits against the AWS well-architected framework. To start you 30 Days free trial, click here.